Saturday, November 17, 2007

What is total fitness?

Before moving back from British Columbia to Toronto last year, I used to work out at the Fitness World in Coquitlam regularly. While there, it was uplifting to see men and women taking their physical exercises seriously – sweating, grunting and straining themselves with gusto. They don’t mind the price they pay, because they know the reward they get. The benefits of regular physical exercises can be experienced immediately.

Each time I went to the Fitness World, I asked myself: Why can’t we have spiritual fitness? Why can’t we have psychological fitness? Why not total fitness?

The idea of total fitness has been percolating in my mind for several years. Instinctively, everyone can appreciate the need for total fitness that encompasses physical, psychological and spiritual well-being. But I did not know how to combine the three in some form of exercises.

Eastern religions and physical exercises

During the same period, I made several trips to Taiwan to give lectures and workshops on meaning-centered counselling, mostly at Buddhist universities and organizations. These trips gave me some opportunity to learn from the Buddhist masters on mindful meditation.

It was particularly instructive for me to learn a particular style of active mindful meditation, which includes a set of physical exercise as well as regular practice of mindful meditation. While learning this exercise, it dawned on me that active mindful medication was actually a promising way to achieve total fitness.

Since then, I began to do some research on how Eastern religions are related to physical exercises and the various schools of martial arts (Wu Shu). Here are some examples of religion-exercise connections:

Buddhism – Shaolin Kung and Mindful meditation
Taoism – Tai-Chi Chuan and Qi-Gong
Hinduism – Yoga
Shintosim – Aikido and Kendo

All the above exercises are designed to benefit practitioners physically, psychologically and spiritually, but it is possible for individuals not to get involved in the religious root of their preferred exercise.

Western religions and physical fitness

When I survey Western religions, I don’t see any clear connection between religious faith and physical exercises.

The Bible recognizes the value of physical exercises, but priority is given to spiritual exercise. For example, 1 Timothy 4:8 says, “For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.”

The Bible rarely encourages sports, but frequently refers to athletic metaphors for spiritual training. Here are some examples:

“Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.”(1 Corinthians 9:25-27) “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.” (2 Timothy 4:7)

However, the Bible does emphasize the importance of taking care of body. "After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it." (Ephesians 5:29)

Christian total fitness

Is it possible to develop the same kind of Christian total fitness as we find in Eastern religions?

The answer is affirmative. There are already some efforts to integrate Christian beliefs with physical exercises. For example, Laurette Willis has developed stretching exercises as a Christian alternative to Yoga. She has already published two books and DVDs (a) PraiseMoves: The Christian Alternative to Yoga and (b) BASIC Steps to Godly Fitness: Strengthening Your Body and Soul in Christ
There are also various physical fitness training programs that emphasize Bible memorization. Often, such programs are done in boot camps, which provide ample opportunities for rigorous physical activities. BIBLE DRILL is noteworthy for its work with young men ages 11--16.

But we still do not have a well developed systematic approach to integrate physical exercise with Christian faith and psychological well-being. My entries in this Blog represent my personal quest for a Bible-centered total fitness. I invite others to join me in this adventure.

7 comments:

Riley said...

What a great idea. I think many people recognize that it is important to take care of all aspecs of their lives, physical and spiritual, but its hard to know how to accomplish it. I look forward to following your journey and hopefully will be able to think of some suggestions too.

Hi my name is Tony said...

Dr. Wong,

it is interesting that in our N.A. culture we need to attempt, through language, to reintegrate concepts that were originally meant to be understood from a holisitic view. True spirituality and true theology cannot be true unless they are evidenced in a practical, physical way (your James reference to faith-works). Your work here is of great value to many in Christian circles who believe that they are not spiritual enough because they prefer involvement and doing and spend less time reading and praying. While we all need to work toward a disciplined life where our works flow out of the relationship God thru Jesus, it will not look the same for everyone.

Blessings to you and to your continued health - will be praying for your restoration.

Tony

nettie said...

My 11 year old son came home from his fathers this past weekend and informed me that one of his cousins told him that exercise was against his religion and i am wondering what religion does not belive in exercise. my son could not remember.

nettie said...

my 11 year old son came home this past weekend from his fathers and informed me that one of his dads cousins told him that exercise was against their religion... my son asked me what religion belives that and i dont know, does anybody know of a religion that does not believe in physical exercise.

T. Zambelli said...

You said: "When I survey Western religions, I don’t see any clear connection between religious faith and physical exercises."

Search for "capoeira" (brazilian marcial art).

Anonymous said...

This blog have helpful content and information. Is there any formula to control diet and keep muscle tone with fitness? For more log on
Personal Trainer- www.just4ufit.com

The Urban Samurai said...

Dr. Wong, I have great respect for your quest. Total fitness is the only means of optimizing one's self. Physical culture has been understood to serve as an integral foundation of spiritual enlightenment in Eastern Civilization for millenniums. There is no need for confirmation from the bible or any spiritual writings to innately recognize the responsibility and obligation we have to pursue total fitness.

A healthy, fit physical state directly supports and affects our physical, mental and emotional ability in regard to both quality and quantity. A weak, tired or sick body cannot perform any service to its potential. A tired body leaves the mind cloudy and fatigued, thusly limiting its productivity. When tired, weak, sick, or intoxicated our emotions can be less than compassionate, patient, and selfless.

All Eastern based forms of physical culture are rooted in the objective of absolute mindful practice of physical activities, focussing on every detail and being one with your action. The focus here is on the path. At times the Western approach is ignorant of being mindful to the details of the present and all the specific details, instead focussing on the result, the perception it creates and completion: Just Do It!

As a student of all religions of a love based God, I'm a bit hesitant to support approaches such as: "The Christian Alternative to Yoga." In the spirit of supporting a state of humanity that respects and accepts different approaches to self realization, spirituality and a loving God, I find the aforementioned title indicative of an insecurity based statement of Christianity over Hinduism and that yoga is anything more than physical culture, anti-Christian, or a missionary arm of Hinduism. The Eastern hate/fear, Western/Christian superiority and self-righteousness of the tone and content of "Praise Moves" was quite appalling. True unconditional love and the harmony of humanity cannot be reached without the acceptance that it is the same God, regardless of the religion. From my humble perspective, "Total Fitness" is not attainable one walks the talk of unconditional love and acceptance.

All major religious traditions carry basically the same message; love, compassion and forgiveness. The important thing is they should be part of our daily lives. - Dalai lama

Dr. Wong, if you hold any interest, I would greatly enjoy corresponding with you on this subject. By trade I am a physical culturist and am working on a book regarding the link between physical culture and spiritual enlightenment.

Greg Alario
gregalario@gmail.com
http://gregalario.com/